Avoiding a crisis this christmas
autism news - 05 December 2011
Christmas can be an extremely stressful time for people on the autistic spectrum because of:
• Changes to their routines
• Holiday closures of their residential schools, day centres etc
• Increased use of agency staff to cover holidays
• Increased social pressure - visiting family
• Changes to their home environment - decorations, christmas tree, christmas cards,
Raised anxieties can lead to examples of challenging behaviour, harming to self and others and destruction of property.
Because of this the National Autistic Society has put together some suggestions on how to successfully support your family member through the Christmas period so the whole family can enjoy themselves.
There is more information on the NAS website or you can call the Autism Helpline 0845 070 4004.