Assessment Service at Milton Park Hospital
It is always preferable for people who require support to remain within their area of origin. However, it is equally important that the service and support they receive is appropriate for their individual needs.
For people with Autism and Asperger syndrome requiring hospital admission, this proves particularly challenging as there are not Autism/Asperger specific services within each locality. In these instances the individual either gets placed within a generic psychiatric or learning disability unit locally, which is often detrimental for those on the spectrum, or they end up in a specialist autism service many miles from their homes and families.
With this in mind; Brookdale Care has launched a specialist Admission and Assessment Service at Milton Park Hospital. This is a short stay admission for individuals in mental health or forensic crisis. Lasting approximately six weeks it enables the client’s care management team time to find an appropriate local service. In the meantime whilst they are within our Assessment Service the individual is undergoing a variety of assessments by our Clinical Team. The individual will then be transferred to the chosen longer stay unit with detailed Autism specialist assessments, risk assessments and suggested support and management plans. This would significantly improve their outcomes when they transfer onto their next placement.
Milton Park Hospital provides a 6 week Assessment Service; offering:
- Diagnostic Assessment for Autistic Spectrum Conditions (confirmation of diagnosis)
- Identify how the individual is affected by Autism
- Assess for the presence of mental health issues which may be present
- Care recommendations for;
o type of future care placement
o types of therapeutic interventions that would benefit the individual
o support methods that would be effective
- A place of safety whilst an appropriate long term care placement is identified in county
Who is the service for:
- Males and Females
- 18 years old plus
- Experiencing difficulties with their Autistic Spectrum Disorder (if already diagnosed)
- Presenting with complex behaviours – unclear diagnosis
- May be inappropriately placed in a PICU or in the community
- May be involved with the Criminal Justice System, either receiving warnings, ASBOs or being held in custody
- Individuals in crisis that cannot remain in their current situation
Milton Park Hospital provides specialist therapeutic support to individuals with Autistic Spectrum Conditions, Mental Health illnesses and Learning Disabilities. Patients may also be demonstrating challenging behaviour, be involved with the Criminal Justice System, or detained under the Mental Health Act.
Please contact Wendy Whyte, Hospital Referral Coordinator on 01707 646 646 or email@example.com